Monday, November 21, 2011

GW12 observations . . .

1.  Cheap defenders, you get what you pay for.  A few weeks back I jumped in and bought Woodgate.  He's since been benched twice now, and Stoke have apparently lost even home form.  Early on, I went for DeLaet who was shortly thereafter dropped.  A couple of years ago, one of my chief rivals (friendly, despite the fact I can never beat him) came up with a 'rule' (which I named the 'Merritt Rule' in his honor) which runs something like this - your FF team should have 3 defenders/GK (preferably the cheapest ones guaranteed to start) from one of the top 4 sides (as comprised in 2008-9).  Of course, this was back in the day when you could count on Man Utd or Chelsea or Arsenal or Liverpool keeping home CS.  This 'rule' has gone through some thought modifications (especially through the influence of PLF Chris but also through the increase in avg. goals in the EPL and failure of teams to consistently record CS) for me and I have gone to 3 at the back this year with 1 defender from a 'big' team, i.e., Enrique, a 4 other budget guys to rotate home/away.  The problem is budget guys tend (i) to play for teams not keeping CS and (ii) get dropped because they are inherently inconsistent.  As I puzzle through this, I am probably going to look at a modifed 'Merritt Rule' where at least 2 of my defenders are nailed on starters from MNU, MNC, CHE, LIV, and then rotate the third defender position in my 3-4-3.  Richards, who I had early on, looks like the chief candidate, but Jones is tempting too - as is Glen Johnson at 6.8.

2.  Return of the budget bots (forward edition).  Helguson, Klasnic (Gummi, you called it), Morison, Yakubu, Hoilett, Graham, Long - all under 6.0 and all looking like they are worth owning.  A slight step up in price, and there are several more - Ba, Sturridge, Zamora, Bendtner.  Of this rather large group, Ba and Klasnic are in the top 10 of FF points for all forwards and Hoilett is tied for 10th, and Zamora sits just outside the top 10.  Now that we are 12 weeks in, and all these lads have some history to support their purchase, it's probably worth thinking about whether you can get by with 2 high price forwards, one of these 'bots', and use the money to invest in other positions - there seems to be a dearth of quality in midfield but my first thought is investment in a Manchester (red or blue) defender.  Not very sexy, but those CS add up.

3.  SAF is the new Mourinho.  1-0, 1-0, 1-0, ho-hum.  Since the Man City beat down, it looks like there is a new training regimine at Old Trafford, as Man Utd defend in numbers and counter with no more than 4 going forward.  I watched the Swansea game and was surprised at how committed Man Utd seemed to be to shutting down Swansea in the final third.  They rarely countered with more than 4 (Hernandez, Rooney, Nani, Giggs (then Valencia), occasionally Jones).  Perhaps the idea is to remind his charges that you can't lose if the other team doesn't score.  But the implications are clear - Jones, Evra (assuming he's not injured) look like pretty good investments vis-a-vis their high-priced attacking counterparts Nani and Rooney.  I expect a return to good attacking form, now that Hernandez seems fully fit and Ashley Young is ready to return, but Jones looks a steal if he holds his place when Smalling returns.

4.  Home/away rotation can bite you.  I'm a huge believer in home/away rotation with my squad, especially in defense, and so this week I went Vorm (and Monk, don't ask) home v. Man Utd, over Schwarzer @ Sunderland.  Whoops.  Sometimes common sense, something I lack in spades, tells you to put away the auto rotation card, and go with  . . . well common sense.  And common sense tells you that, as good as Swansea have been defensively at home, Man Utd are more likely to score - even if they are playing on the f***ing moon - than Sunderland.  Which brings me to the funniest FF post I have ever seen on the FFS website from a lad named Billy Ketsu -
After long and careful consideration I’ve decided that Brain’s position as manager of my Fantasy Football team is no longer tenable and he will be leaving by mutual consent, to spend more time with his family. From GW 13 he will be replaced by Gut, hitherto assistant coach.
“It’s a results based business we’re in and if you don’t get the points it’s your head on the chopping block,” commented a clearly disappointed Brain after another disappointing score.”I wish Gut all the best. I’m sure he has the qualities to turn the teams’ fortunes around”.
Supporters of Luminous Animals FC had expressed bafflement at some of Brain’s recent signings, including invisible defender Jonathan Woodgate and non-striking striker Nicklas Bendtner. The manager’s continued selection of under-performing Manchester duo Potato and Narnia had also raised eyebrows among the Luminous faithful.
“I don’t want to say that Brain doesn’t know what he’s doing,” commented Kevin Beard, co-chairman of supporters group Luminous Action, ” but he clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s time for him to go and Gut’s the best replacement. Personally, I blame the chairman. It’s disgrace, to be honest”.
Internet rumours linking the team with Leighton Baines, Adebayor and Aguero have been dismissed by Gut. “I’d love to bring them in but the money’s just not there. How much is that lad at West Brom? Four million? He’ll do for a start”.
That sums it all up doesn't it ?

3 comments:

  1. That's a great post from Billy Ketsu. :)

    The "under-performing Manchester duo" comment hit home as I have also held on to them.

    Great to see Klasnic score and Bale get two assists. It's been so long since I made great a great transfer (Suarez > Klasnic, N. Dyer > Bale this week).

    I might add that Klasnic seems to also be on penalites, which makes him more attractive.

    Regarding the defenders, I was thinking the exact same thing. I have 2.7 in the bank and was thinking of getting one more "elite" defender. I'm just a little scared of Jones as he could well be rotated when Smalling is back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gummi - 2 very interesting, eye-opening posts on PLF Chris's site but in one he suggests Klasnic is not a good play - maybe that's too strong, he suggests other options - based on the numbers. Not sure I see that given that Klasnic has some history of goal scoring in the EPL. A question of starts really. To me, a bit like Bendtner, whose FF ppm @ Arsenal was quite good when he got regular minutes, I think Klasnic will play out to 12-14 goals this year, assuming he remains healthy. Klasnic is on pens I think because K. Davies was on when Klasnic took his.

    As to defenders, don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer in budget guys that rotate well, but I also think if you can get access to a 'top 4' defense for under 7.0, let alone under 6.5,it's probably worth getting 2 in and rotating the third (or 4th) defender in your weekly team. My short list includes Richards, Kompany, Clichy, Jones, Evra (only affordable nailed on guy for MNU (I share your concern about P.Jones with Smalling, Fabio and now Rafael in the picture), Luiz (I think CHE are going through a bad patch but will recover), Ivanovic (offensive upside, nailed on starter),Vermaelen(ARS are a different team with him in back + offensive upside, great sched). I am also looking at Skrtel even though I have Enrique. I know the whole theory about not doubling down on defense, but I don't agree - what does it matter, at the end of the day, if you stacked points on certain weekends when your 2 Liverpool defenders kept CS but other weeks crapped out wshen they conceded if, by season's end, Liverpool had 12 or so CS ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the top defenders. Value buys are the bread and butter of the game but sometimes you just have to go for 100% Fantasy points, regardless of value.

    I have Kompany and Enrique, who I consider of the elite category, and am pondering about getting the third choice in.

    Also, because playing 3-4-3 seems the best way to go, having 3 top defenders could be more profitable than having 5 good midfielders. 3 elite midfielders coupled with 2 rotaters could yield more benefits.

    It's worth monitoring that Man Utd. backline. Perhaps a punt on Fabio could be worthwhile?

    ReplyDelete