Thursday, December 1, 2011

It's never too early in the week . .

to begin figuring out how I am going to f***-up the armband selection.  The below is specific to my team, but there is one lad not in my team who I really like, as I'll explain below.  My general rule in picking a captain, up until the second half of last year when I simply rode van Persie like a rented mule, was (i) best midfielder in my team with (ii) a home game against (iii) the weakest opposition.  This fit my team model up until last year too; I typically had 4/5 high-priced/mid-priced midfielders, 1 high-priced forward and 2 budget forwards.  With Rooney's quick start, now RvP in my team, and MNC forwards scoring for fun, and with Nani having gone awol, VdV injured, and Silva often rotated at home v. bottom-feeders, there is no hard and fast rule.  And my team model has changed a bit too. So the analysis below is a bit perfunctory but it's always useful to go through the traps. The analysis for my team:

RvP @ Wigan.  RvP has been blanked twice this year away but has 6 goals and 1 assist away too.  Arsenal have 8 goals in the last 3 fixtures at the DW; Wigan have conceded 11 goals in 6 games at home and the only strong team they faced at home was Tottenham.  'Nuff said.
 
The other options:
 
Adebayor v. Bolton.  In 4 home games this year he has 4 goals and 1 assist.  He's been blanked at home once.  Bolton have conceded 12 goals in 6 away games.  Adebayor is really, really tempting, having scored twice in his last 2 games, and he's at home (I always prefer a home captain).
Bale v. Bolton.  Bale has 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 2 homes games but has been blanked on several occasions at home. Not as tempting as Adebayor but he is up against Steinsson . . .
Silva v. Norwich.  1 goal and 4 assists at home this year, he's tallied in every home game he's started; he's been blanked twice at home - on both occasions he didn't start and was limited to 20+ min cameos.  Silva would be my nailed on captain this week as he is automatic for points at home but . . . I think it's fair to say he may again be rested at home v. a soft oppponent in anticipation of Bayern Munich's visit in midweek in a do-or-die CL match.  Norwich have conceded 11 goals in 6 away games and Silva would surely have a field day, but I can't take the chance of a 20 minute cameo.
Nani @ Villa.  1 assist since September, the player formerly known as Nani would be an automatic consideration.  There may be a breakout game coming, but there isn't much to suggest that.  Villa are tough at home; 6 goals conceded in 6 home games.  I might give serious consideration to the player formerly known as Nani, and will, if he ever turns up again.
Moses v. Arsenal.  The ultimate, let-it-all-hang-out-differentialapalooza gamble.  He earned a PK for an assist last week so he's red-hot (mordant chuckling); Wigan are not prolific at home but have scored 8 goals in 6 home games and have 6 goals in the last 3 visits from Arsenal.  I am starting him ahead of Ramsey (home v. away is my logic, such as it is).  If it was GW36 and I needed a massive differential to make up some ground I might take a flyer, but not before Christmas.
Kompany v. Norwich.  I've brought the big Belgian in early to avoid any rise/fall(Woodgate).  3 clean sheets in 6 home games; 2 goals for the big man so far this year too.  Norwich have only scored 7 goals in 6 away games.  Caveat, Norwich have nicked goals at 2 of the 3 top sides (CHE, LIV) they faced away.
 
The analysis screams RvP and whispers Adebayor.  Unfortunately, I've been wrong more often than right this year.
 
The one guy I don't have that I might take over RvP this week if I had him is Leighton Baines.  I have slowly come around to seeking savings in the back, so Baines is not in my wheelhouse but I'm a little jealous (and fearful) of those who've got him this week.  If I had him, I'd have a big, big dilema on the armband decision.  Owned by only 6% of managers, he's a massive differential.  A goal, an assist, and BPs, in GW12; a clean sheet, and BPs in GW13 and now he faces a Stoke team who've made Sunderland (4-0) and Bolton (5-0) look like world-beaters after playing a midweek Europa League game.  Stoke host Dynamo Kiev tonight.  At least they don't have to travel to the Ukraine.  But Everton v. a leg-weary Stoke says 2-0 all day and you wouldn't bet against Baines being involved in the goals.
 
2 other big-priced guys worth looking at if you have them . . . Aguero, who, obviously, should be a consideration every week if he's in your team (or you can bring him in).  But like Silva, one has to consider the potential for rotation if Mancini decides to go 'all-in' on the CL match in midweek against Bayern Munich in their desperate effort to reach the knockout stages (Man City need a shock result from Villareal v. Napoli).  Dzeko played 90 minutes in the CC win v. Arsenal, but Balotelli served his red card suspension in that game and is available.  The other guy I'd look at if I had him is Frank Lampard.  Yes, at apparent top 4 contenders Newcastle and all that, but Chelsea score goals and this is a serious statement game for Chelsea. And Newcastle's Tiote, the man most likely to monitor Lampard's runs, is still out.  Lampard played in the CC loss to Liverpool, so he may be rested ahead of the CL game next week, but if I had him, I'd be tempted to back the man with 4 double figure FF point hauls this season already.

3 comments:

  1. I'm buying Baines, but I'm very hesitant to captain him. Captaining defenders makes me feel weird.

    I'm going for Adebayor this Gameweek, and hoping that his hot streak continues. Don't have RvP and am hoping that he continues his 1 game barren run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as I say . . .
    "The analysis screams RvP and whispers Adebayor. Unfortunately, I've been wrong more often than right this year".
    If I go RvP it'll be Adebayor with the big week.

    ReplyDelete