Tuesday, January 17, 2012

GW21 Takeaway

54 points on the GW off the WC (more later) and a green arrow for a slight bump to 11,893 in the world.  I went back and forth on the armband between Nani and RvP and finally chose Nani.  I saw a comment on another blog to the effect that the manager had simply quit trying to guess the hot hand or play the home/away odds and simply handed the armband every week to van Persie.  That's starting to make sense after so many captain 'fails'.

1. Aston Villa 1 v. Everton 1.  Both teams hanging around midtable.  But while I think Everton are a no-go FF area, Villa are kind of interesting.  Darren Bent is having a 'quiet' year, I guess, but he has 7 goals and 72 FF points (for one of the most negative coaches in the EPL, in my opinion).  And he's got 2 goals in his last 3 games.  And now McLeish has given Stephen Ireland a role in the hole behind Bent.  At 5.6, and having a world of talent, Ireland has the potential to be a massive value and differential if he continues in that attacking position.  Another interesting guy in this lineup is Stilian Petrov who came to Villa a few years ago advertized as a sort of attacking central mid from Celtic but has played deep and as a holding mid for Villa.  Until now.  His EA Sport PPI is the best for any player under 6.0, his attacking numbers as compiled on FFS are good, he's nailed on and isn't the worst option at 5.9.  Warnock at 4.9 has played every single minute this season, has 5 CS, 1 goal, and 2 assists.  And Shay Givens is back (4.7) after a 6 game injury layoff.  And I didn't mention Gabby Agbonlahor with 4 goals, 7 assists, at 7.0.  Oh, now I did.  Villa have wol, QPR, nwc, MNC, wig, bla, FUL, BOL before the schedule turns ugly in mid March.

2.  Blackburn 3 v. Fulham 1, go figure.  Yakubu sent off, Blackburn still win.  Fulham are 4-3-3 at home, 16 GS  15 GA, 1-5-5, away 7 GS 14 GA.  This is what scares me about biting on Dempsey - for 8.5 you want to play him every week but . . . he plays for a team scoring .64 gpg away.  Fulham have kept 7 CS this year, 4 home, 3 away (WIG, WBA, SUN).  What the numbers tell me is go budget on Fulham.  Zamora, Ruiz, Dembele (no, seriously, good attacking numbers) all might be decent value as a rotation forward if you are going with the '2 elite/1 budget' model or maybe a budget defender.  Kelly or Senderos anyone ?

3.  Lampard, goal.  Frank has scored 9 goals, 2 more than any other midfielder.  He's still one of the leading midfield FF point scorers, and but for AVB sitting him for Raul Meireles (really?) , there is little question he would be the leading midfield point scorer.  If, if, AVB, comes to his senses and gives Lampard a run.  Massive differential.  I wonder who Essien's return threatens ?  I've felt it was Ramires.  Same box-to-box type midfielder only better.  We'll see.

4.  Liverpool have scored 24 goals in 21 games.  When  0-0 at home to Stoke feels like a decent result, you know you are struggling for goals.  10 teams, 19th place Bolton included, have scored more than Liverpool.  I love Stevie Gerrard but I ain't going near Liverpool's attack.  That said, Liverpool have conceded the second fewest goals.  The short-term schedule's not that great - bol, wol, TOT, mun, EVE, ARS, but with 5 CS away, at least 1 and maybe 2 Liverpool defenders isn't the worst idea.

5.  Swansea, for real ?  Despite Wenger's whining about the penalty call, Swansea simply outplayed and outworked Arsenal.  This was the first game Swansea have conceded more that 1 goal at home and they had conceded only 4 all year.  Vorm, Rangel, Caulker, Williams, C. Taylor all good investments.  If you are late to the party or want to double up, Caulker is 4.0.  Sinclair at 6.3 has 90 FF points.  And Dyer looked brilliant against Arsenal at 4.7.  At different times, Joe Allen, Kemy Augustien, Mark Gower have all looked good value but it looks down to Sinclair and Dyer as the midfield picks here.  But the other guy here who is interesting is forward Danny Graham.  His price dropped like a stone as he opened the season with 6 goalless games; in the 15 since - 7 goals, 2 assists, 11 BPs. Swansea have been poor away though, and they play 4 of the next 6 away . . . but if you are playing the 2 elite/1 budget forward model, why not Danny Graham at home v. CHE and NOR and a flyer away at WBA ?  


14 Fulham2143316151557145882329
14 Fulham2143316151557145882329

3 comments:

  1. Ireland is an interesting one and a massive bargain if he gets anywhere close to his form of yesteryear.

    Care to comment on my WC team?

    Vorm - Hennessey
    Kelly - Kompany - Enrique - Williamson - Shotton
    Ireland - Walters - Sessegnon - Silva - Bale
    Adebayor - Rooney - RvP

    I'm still pondering over having Kompany and Sessegnon over Budget Defender and Nani.

    Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that team a lot. I've gone for Clichy but Kompany is much safer and I think Mancini will be looking to keep CS in the run-in; a MNC defender is a must in my view. I have Williamson too, I swapped Simpson because for the same value (4.2) I think Williamson may nab the odd set piece goal. I am a bit wary of Kelly and Shotton in that I am not confident they are nailed on. I'm looking at Senderos. But if Kelly continues to start, he rotates well with Williamson. Ireland is a gamble but not one you can't bail out of; and with Bent restored to the line-up I think he has a huge upside. I've had Nani all year as the cheaper alternative to Rooney, but I dropped him in my WC for Valencia. I think Rooney will come good and presumably he and SAF have their tiff sorted. I like Sessegnon a lot and brought him in with my WC; if 1 or 2 of the Sunderland boys could have finished against Chelsea Sessegnon would have had 2-3 assists. For 6.5 (or 6.6) now, good choice, in my view. FPL Chris had a good point about Walters's shots numbers, but he has been ridiculous at home though and I think he rotates well with Ireland. The one guy I might argue with is Adebayor. If you've had him for a while and will lose value, then keep him but I wonder about Tottenham's schedule - and you've got Bale to cover Tottenham's attack. I might think about Sturridge for Chelsea cover, or even Torres if the budget stretches that far, or any of the budget forwards who are proving so effective and use the money elsewhere. Adebayor is one of the top forwards in EPL though, so I can't argue too vociferiously against him - I had him all season up until my WC. I've gone for Aguero, given the MNC schedule. Good team in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments.

    I think Rooney is more likely to score against the big teams than Nani; hence the choice.

    Interesting choice in Valencia. I'm not confident in his consistency but he is the most likely assister to Rooney.

    I could actually go for Adebayor -> Aguero if I go for Mignolet over Hennessey and McClean over Sessegnon. That's tempting indeed.

    ReplyDelete